First of all, it is important to choose a relevant cause. It should go with the mission of your company and be related, in one way or another, to the products you are producing or with your target market. For example, it makes sense that a company producing childcare products chooses a charity that supports children in under-developed countries.
Whichever cause your organization decides to support, the benefits of giving are multiple. Here are some of them:
1. Identifying with a cause. It is very helpful for your organization to have an identity besides the corporate mission - it builds your image with consumers as a "company with a soul" that cares about more significant things than just profits.
2. Attracting top talent. An identity of your organization as ethical and conscious will help you attract the best professionals in your area.
3. How you will look to the world. Anyone who visits your website - clients, business partners, employees, media - will be able to see the cause that you are supporting, and that will help to re-enforce the positive image of your organization in all the visitors' minds.
4. Charity will help your networking. By being a charity sponsor you will have access to various charity events, among them VIP ones, where you will be able to network with like-minded individuals and perhaps establish new business contacts or simply to spread the word about your company.
5. Employee loyalty. Everyone wants to work at a company that supports a beautiful cause, and this will rise the energy and commitment of your employees to your organization.
6. Tax deduction. When you are contributing to a 501c3 charity organization, you might be able to claim your contributions on your income taxes.
7. Giving a chance to your customers to help. When you claim that a certain percentage of your sales go to charity, your customers will know that by buying your product they will be contributing, too.
And above it all - you will be doing good, and giving back is what makes us the most happy, according to psychologists. So go ahead, select a charity organization you believe in, and start supporting it.
It takes so little to do something so big.